Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Never too late to try something new

A few days ago this dropped into my Inbox.

Elaine has left a new comment on your post "The Red Wheelbarrow bookshop in Paris":

"I am a huge Trollope fan and the Palliser/Political novels are quite magnificent. Try The Way we Live Now to discover a truly Maxwellian figure alive and kicking all those years ago. Nothing changes, nothing new under the sun"

I clicked on the name Elaine which led me to a blog called Random Jottings of a Book and Opera Lover by "A commuting book and opera-aholic personal assistant living in the oldest recorded town in the UK, Colchester."

Almost immediately I realised I had been to this blog before, lured there by a book called The Needle in the Blood by Sarah Bower. But what I had not discovered on that first visit was that the owner of this blog has a remarkable mother.

This link should take you to a photograph of her, in a garden in Bath with Elaine's sister.

Elaine writes, "My mother has just celebrated her 95th birthday and is amazingly fit and well and going strong. I think the main reason for this is she keeps her mind alive and alert. She lives in a warden controlled block and though she is the oldest inhabitant there, she has twice as much get up and go as most of them and I really believe this is because she does not spend her entire day watching tv which an awful lot of residents seem to do. She will not switch it on until the evening and only then if there is something she wants to watch."

"Mum took up water colour painting at the age of 90 when the local council had a brilliant idea of taking on an instructor to visit care homes. She simply loves it and finds it very relaxing and spends hours with her paint brushes and paints. The initiative did not last of course, with the council cutting costs so this went by the board, but she still continues to paint on her own. She is also a great reader and dismisses most of the books that she calls 'old ladies books' as rubbish…"

Earlier this year, I had to visit a residential home for elderly people and was disturbed by fact that most of the residents were not watching TV, reading newspapers or books, or chatting. They were sitting in the public rooms in a state of inertia which seemed to confirm the rumours that the staff at some old folks' homes give their charges soporifics.

For the rest of that day I was troubled by what I had seen, and appalled by the thought that, one day in the future, I might find myself in a similar establishment. Then the demands of a busy working life pushed those thoughts to the back of my mind.

3 Comments:

At 20 July, 2007, Blogger Elaine said...

Thank you so much for mentioning my mother on your blog! I am driving over to collect her this afternoon to take her to stay for a few days with a life long family friend, also living locally. I have to say that if I am fit and well and alert as my mum when I reach her age, I will consider myself very fortunate indeed.

 
At 07 September, 2015, Blogger oakleyses said...

michael kors outlet, uggs on sale, nike air max, michael kors outlet online, replica watches, louis vuitton, tiffany jewelry, ray ban sunglasses, replica watches, nike air max, nike free, uggs outlet, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, jordan shoes, burberry handbags, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin uk, michael kors outlet store, polo ralph lauren outlet online, prada outlet, polo outlet, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, prada handbags, burberry outlet, ugg boots, nike outlet, oakley sunglasses wholesale, ugg boots, louis vuitton outlet, christian louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet online, tory burch outlet, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin shoes, gucci handbags, oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin, louis vuitton, uggs outlet

 
At 07 September, 2015, Blogger oakleyses said...

michael kors outlet, michael kors, north face, north face uk, louboutin pas cher, vans pas cher, sac longchamp pas cher, air max, coach outlet store online, nike tn, michael kors pas cher, converse pas cher, nike blazer pas cher, timberland pas cher, burberry pas cher, new balance, hollister pas cher, polo lacoste, polo ralph lauren, chanel handbags, kate spade outlet, hogan outlet, coach outlet, true religion outlet, nike air force, guess pas cher, hollister uk, jordan pas cher, nike free run, sac vanessa bruno, lululemon canada, true religion outlet, nike roshe, oakley pas cher, michael kors, true religion jeans, ray ban uk, sac hermes, coach outlet, true religion outlet, coach purses, kate spade, longchamp pas cher, ray ban pas cher, nike air max

 

Post a Comment

<< Home